I love potatoes and this one is over the top delicious! I present to you Broccoli Cheddar Stuffed Baked Potatoes. P.S. the broccoli cheddar combo also makes a great side all on its own, but in this potato, topped with fried onions, does it get any better than this?
You’ll want to be begin the potatoes about an hour or so prior to mealtime as they take nearly that long to bake. The good news is that you can set the oven to 350 degrees and forget about them for at least 50 minutes. No need to flip.
During this time, I get all of my ingredients together and prepped. That includes steamed broccoli, shredded cheddar, milk and flour to make the sauce and for topping…those crispy fried onions.
How to make the cheesy sauce
It begins with a tablespoon of butter and a tablespoon of flour whisked together until smooth. This takes about a minute or two.
Then you just slowly add milk while whisking constantly to avoid lumps. Don’t worry if you get a few. As the sauce thickens, it becomes easier to whisk those out.
It should look like this. You’ll see the whisk leaving a trail and that means the sauce is thick enough.
All that’s left is to add the shredded cheddar cheese. I like to season with salt and pepper at this stage, but be sure to give it a quick taste after the broccoli and cheese are added to be sure you have enough salt. It’s always good to season as you go.
Lastly, the steamed broccoli goes into the finished sauce. If the sauce seems too thick, just add another splash of milk.
Your potatoes should be baked and fork tender now. Slice through the top and using your hands, give the potato a squeeze from both ends to force the potato out a bit making more room for the broccoli cheddar sauce.
It’s all about the toppings at this point. The broccoli cheddar sauce gets loaded on top, then a bit more cheddar cheese (because, why not?) and finally, the crispy fried onions. You can find these in the canned food aisle of your grocery store. They are the same onions used to make green bean casserole 🙂
Doesn’t that look amazing?
Did you make this recipe for Broccoli Cheddar Stuffed Baked Potatoes? Leave me a comment and let me know what you thought.
Broccoli Cheddar Stuffed Baked Potatoes
- 2 lbs Baking Potatoes these are Russet Potatoes weighing in about 1 pound each
- 2 c Broccoli cooked
- 1 tbsp Butter
- 1 tbsp All Purpose Flour
- 1/2 c Milk
- 1/2 c Cheddar Cheese shredded
- 2 tbsp Crispy Fried Onions
- Salt & Pepper to taste
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- Wash and dry two one pound baking Russet potatoes. Bake for 50-65 minutes or until fork tender.
- While the potatoes are baking, steam the broccoli until just until tender.
- When the potatoes are close to being done, begin making the white sauce by melting butter in a skillet. Add flour and whisk for about a minute or two. Add the milk SLOWLY while whisking constantly to minimize any lumps. Cook for another minute or two. Season with salt and pepper,
- Stir in the cheese until melted, then add the steamed broccoli. Taste for seasoning adding additional salt if necessary.
- Remove the potatoes from the oven, slice the top lengthwise and give the potato a good squeeze from both ends until it opens up making room for the filling.
- Top with the broccoli cheddar sauce, a bit more shredded cheese and the crispy fried onions. Enjoy!
Leave a Reply