There is nothing more soothing on a cold day than a hot bowl of my Easy Broccoli Cheddar Soup! Just a handful of ingredients and ready in less than 40 minutes. If your bakery sells bread rounds, this one would be perfect served in a bread bowl.
How to make my Easy Broccoli Cheddar Soup
The ingredients are simple and it’s best to have everything prepared and ready to go since this soup comes together quickly.
You will need:
- Broccoli (par-cooked)
- Carrots (julienned)
- Shredded Cheddar
- Vegetable Broth
- Heavy Cream
- Dijon Mustard
- All Purpose Flour
- Salt & Pepper
If you have a mandoline slicer or box grater, you can use that to make long julienne pieces. I found this handy, dandy julienne tool on Amazon and I just love it! It works just like a vegetable peeler.
To a large stock pot, add butter, onions, carrots and celery. Saute for a few minutes just until tender.
Add a bit of flour to thicken and cook for one to two minutes just to cook out that raw flour taste. Use 2 tablespoons for a thinner end result, or 3 tablespoons for a thicker soup.
Season with salt and pepper.
Next, add a rich vegetable broth. I love Better Than Bouillon and it keeps for long periods without spoiling in the refrigerator. You just can’t find a box or can that is this flavorful or yields as much as these little jars of flavor. I added 1 tsp of the bouillon to 1 cup of boiling water to make it.
Add the heavy cream. Also sometimes called heavy whipping cream. Either works.
And the Dijon mustard.
I like to par-cook the chopped broccoli to give it a head start. A microwave works great in this instance, but you could also steam them. I just used frozen, microwaved it and then gave the florets a chop.
Cook the soup for about 20 minutes and taste to see if it needs any additional salt or pepper.
Stir in the shredded cheddar until it melts. It’s best to do this in batches as it melts more quickly and evenly.
Doesn’t that look amazing? Yum! I love this served with bread for dipping.
To serve, I like to add just a bit more cheddar and a sprinkling of parsley. Enjoy!
If you made this recipe for my Easy Broccoli Cheddar Soup, leave a comment and let me know what you thought!
Easy Broccoli Cheddar Soup
- Stock Pot
- 2 tbsp Butter or Margarine
- 1/4 c Onion diced
- 1/4 c Carrots julienne or grate
- 1/4 c Celery diced
- 2 to 3 tbsp All Purpose Flour depending on how thick you'd like your soup
- 2 c Broccoli par-cooked and chopped into bite-sized pieces
- 1 c Heavy Cream also sometimes called heavy whipping cream
- 1 tsp Dijon Mustard
- 1 1/4 c Cheddar grated, plus more for garnish
- Salt & Pepper to taste
- In a large pot over medium high heat, add butter, onion, carrot and celery. Cook for about 5 minutes, stirring frequently.
- Add the flour and stirring constantly, cook for 1 to 2 minutes just to remove that raw flour taste. Season with salt and pepper.
- Add the broth, heavy cream and Dijon mustard.
- Cook, stirring occasionally, for 20 minutes.
- Next, stir in the cheddar until it melts and fully incorporates.
- Taste for seasoning, adding more salt and/or pepper if necessary.
- Top with additional cheddar and parsley, if desired.
Leave a Reply