These Easy Butternut Squash Fritters are so sweet and tender AND delicious! Season with a pinch of salt right after removing from the frying pan and elevated that squash flavor. We serve ours with sour cream for dipping. These are really amazing. Let me show you how to make them.
How to prepare the butternut squash
Butternut squash seem really intimidating to peel and they can be. One good peeler makes easy work of this task however. I cut off both ends and just keep peeling until you get to that color flesh. Then all that’s left is to grate it. You can use a box grater (which is admittedly a bit more work) or a food processor with the shredding attachment if you have one. I highly recommend the latter.
Ingredients needed to make this recipe
You’ll need the following ingredients to make this recipe:
- Shredded Butternut Squash (using either a food processor with a shredding blade, or a box grater)
- All Purpose Flour
- an Egg
- Garlic Powder (or freshly minced garlic, if you prefer)
- Black Pepper
- Vegetable Oil, for frying
- Sour Cream, for serving
How to make Easy Butternut Squash Fritters
In a large bowl, combine the shredded butternut squash, all purpose flour, egg, garlic powder and pepper. Mix well and then add the dry ingredients, stirring only until incorporated. Do not over mix.
Heat a non stick skillet over medium high heat with a bit of vegetable oil. Using a small cookie scoop, place mounds into the oil. Use a spatula to flatten. We’ll do this again when we flip them.
They should be golden on both sides and firm.
Remove to paper towels to drain but also don’t forget to sprinkle them immediately with salt. This really brings out the flavor and gives that salty/sweet aspect I love about these fritters.
Serve with sour cream for dipping.
Easy Butternut Squash Fritters
- Non Stick Skillet
- 2 1/2 c Butternut Squash shredded
- 1/4 c All Purpose Flour
- 1 large Egg
- Garlic Powder to taste
- 1/4 tsp Salt more or less to taste
- pinch Black Pepper more or less to taste
- Vegetable Oil for frying
- Sour Cream for serving
- Using a food processor with a shredding blade OR a box grater, grate the peeled butternut squash.
- Combine the butternut squash, flour, egg, garlic powder and pepper.
- Whisk together the dry ingredients and add them to the wet mixture, stirring just until combined.
- Heat a large skillet over medium high heat and add oil.
- Using a small cookie scoop, place mounds of the batter into the oil and using a spatula, flatten slightly. It may help to spray the spatula with cookie spray to avoid sticking.
- Once golden, flip and repeat. Press with the spatula to flatten slightly.
- Remove the golden fritters to paper towels to drain and immediately sprinkle with salt.
- Serve warm with sour cream and garnish with parsley.