Similar to pumpkin bread, this Sweet Potato Bread Recipe is just slightly more dense and richer in flavor. Moist and delicious and so easy to make! Chopped walnuts add a really nice contrast in texture and flavor. I make them in mini bread pans, wrap in foil and freeze them. They also make great holiday gifts for your loved ones. Spread your favorite butter on a slice and enjoy! Let me show you how I made them.
How to make my Easy Sweet Potato Bread Recipe
This recipe uses cooked, mashed sweet potato. I roasted mine whole in the oven and then cooled slightly to be able to handle. Remove the skin and mash while still warm. I use a hand mixer to get them really smooth like this. It should closely resemble pumpkin puree.
Ingredients you’ll need to make this recipe
In addition to your roasted and cooled sweet potato mash, you’ll need:All Purpose Flour
- Baking Powder
- a large Egg
- and Molasses
Combine the ingredients until well incorporated.
Fold in the chopped walnuts taking care not to over mix.
Spray mini loaf pans with cooking spray and divide the batter evenly. You may get two or three depending on the size of your pans.
Bake at 325 degrees for about 25-20 minutes or until a toothpick inserted comes clean.
Allow to cool in the pan for 10 minutes, then remove to a rack to cool completely before serving.
Slice the loaf and spread with your favorite butter. Enjoy!
Can I freeze the bread?
Yes! As I mentioned, this bread freezes beautifully and I do it often. Wrap in foil and place in a freezer bag. Enjoy within a few months. Simply defrost to room temperature before serving.
Did you make my Sweet Potato Bread Recipe? Leave me a comment below and let me know what you thought!
Easy Sweet Potato Bread Recipe
- Stand (or Hand) Mixer
- Mini Bread Loaf Pan
- 1 c All Purpose Flour
- 1-1/2 tsp Baking Powder
- 1/4 tsp Cinnamon
- 1/4 tsp Nutmeg
- 1/4 tsp Allspice
- 1/8 tsp Salt
- 1 large Egg
- 1/3 c Sweet Potato cooked and mashed
- 1/3 c Honey
- 3 tbsp Oil
- 2 tbsp Molasses
- 1/3 c Walnuts chopped
- In a bowl, combine the flour, baking powder, all of the spices and the salt.
- In another bowl, whisk the egg, sweet potato, honey, oil and molasses together.
- Stir into dry ingredients just until moistened. Fold in walnuts.
- Divide the batter between the mini loaf pans. Depending on the size of your pan, you may get two or three.
- Bake at 325° for 25-30 minutes or until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean.
- Cool for 10 minutes before removing from pans to wire racks to cool completely.