This Easy Ground Beef Chili Recipe comes together really quickly and uses just a few ingredients. It’s a one pot meal that is perfect for weeknight dinners or since it freezes really well, meal prep. Let me show you how I make it!
How to make Easy Ground Beef Chili Recipe
To make this recipe, you’ll need the following ingredients:
- 1 lb Ground Beef – I prefer 80/20 and you can always drain any excess fat after cooking.
- 1 large Onion, diced – yellow onions work best here.
- 2 cans of your favorite Beans – I like Cannellini and Dark Red Kidney Beans, drained and rinsed.
- Whole Canned Tomatoes – diced or crushed also work here. Be sure to include the juices!
- Chili Powder – to taste. I recommend starting with one tablespoon. You can always add, but you can’t take away.
- Salt and Pepper, to taste.
You’ll begin by sauteing the onions in a small amount of oil just to get them started. Then add and brown the ground beef.
Add your chili powder, salt and pepper. Finally, add your drained beans.
I am using whole canned tomatoes, but feel free to use diced or crushed along with all of their juices. If you are using whole tomatoes, just remove them from the liquids and roughly chop them.
Add everything to the pot and give a good stir. There will be a lot of liquid at this point, but the secret to good chili is cooking it for awhile until it’s good and thick! So while this is ready in 30 minutes, it’s even better if simmered for longer.
After the cooking time is up, you’ll want to give it another taste keeping in mind that reducing the liquid will intensify the flavors. You may or may not need more chili powder, salt or pepper. Always taste to be sure.
We love ours with a dollop of sour cream and a sprinkling of fresh parsley. You could also add shredded cheddar if you have it along with a side of cornbread. It’s the perfect comfort meal and super simple to pull together, right?
Obligatory bite shot. Doesn’t that look amazing? I hope you give it a try.
Did you make my Easy Ground Beef Chili Recipe? Leave a comment below and let me know what you thought!
Easy Ground Beef Chili Recipe
- Large Stock Pot
- 1 lb Ground Beef
- 1 tbsp Vegetable Oil
- 1 large Yellow Onion diced
- 1 tbsp Chili Powder more or less, to taste
- 1/4 tsp Salt more or less, to taste plus more for serving
- 1/8 tsp Pepper more or less, to taste
- 15 oz Dark Red Kidney Beans drained and rinsed well
- 15 oz Cannellini Beans drained and rinsed well
- 28 oz Whole Canned Tomatos or diced/crushed with the juices
- Parlsey chopped
- Sour Cream / Shredded Cheddar / Cornbread for serving
- Add oil and onion to a large stock pot over medium high heat and cook for a few minutes until tender.
- Add the ground beef and brown, seasoning with chili powder, salt and pepper.
- Drain and rinse the beans, adding them to the pot.
- If using whole tomatoes, chop them first – otherwise add diced/crushed tomatoes along with the juices regardless of which type of tomato you are using.
- Stir and continue to cook until it thickens to your desired liking.
- Serve with a dollop of sour cream, cheddar cheese and/or cornbread.