This Easy Old Fashioned Apple Crisp (for two) is the perfect and simple dessert enjoyed straight from the oven. Be sure to allow it to cool for a few minutes prior to serving – it’s super hot! Add a scoop of vanilla ice cream to the warm crisp and it’s oh-so-delicious! Let me show you how to make it.
How to make Easy Old Fashioned Apple Crisp
You’ll want to look for an apple such as Fuji or Honeycrisp. Wash and dry the apples, then peel and remove the core. Finally, slice and dice into bite-sized pieces.
Ingredients you’ll need to make this recipe
- Diced Apples (such as Fuji or Honey Crisp)
- Cooking Spray
- Ground Cinnamon
- Ground Nutmeg
- Granulated Sugar
- All Purpose Flour
and for the topping:
- Softened Butter (room temperature, do not melt)
- Brown Sugar (I prefer light brown, but either will work)
- Old Fashioned Oats, not quick cooking oats
- All Purpose Flour
- Baking Powder
To make that topping, simple cream together room temperature butter with the old fashioned oats, brown sugar, flour and baking powder. I use a fork, but in the end – your fingers are the best kitchen tools here. They make the best crumbles!
Toss the apples with flour, sugar, salt and cinnamon until they are fully coated and juicy.
Place the apples into the greased ramekins, dividing them evenly between the two.
I love these flatter style ramekins. Meant for creme brulee, they are available in most cooking stores but I found mine on Amazon.
Divide the topping between the two ramekins and be sure to mound it all on there.
Bake until golden and bubbly. Allow to cool for 5 minutes before topping with vanilla ice cream. That apple mixture is really hot.
Doesn’t that look amazing? So delicious.
Did you make my Easy Old Fashioned Apple Crisp? Leave a comment below and let me know what you thought!
Easy Old Fashioned Apple Crisp Recipe
- 2 Large Oven Safe Ramekins
- Baking Sheet
- 2 large Fuji or Honey crisp Apples peeled, cored and cut into chunks
- 1 tbsp All Purpose Flour
- 1 1/2 tbsp Sugar
- 1 tsp Cinnamon
- pinch Nutmeg
FOR THE TOPPING:
- 3 tbsp All Purpose Flour
- 3 tbsp Old Fashioned Oats
- 3 tbsp Brown Sugar
- 1/4 c Butter softened to room temperature (not melted)
- 1/2 tsp Baking Powder
- pinch Salt
- Preheat oven to 375° F and spray ramekins with cooking spray. Place on a lined cookie sheet just in case of overflow.
- For the filling, combine apples, all purpose flour, sugar, cinnamon, and nutmeg.
- For the topping, cut butter into the other ingredients using a fork.
- Add the apples to the prepared ramekins and top with the crisp topping. Be sure to use all of it.
- Bake for 20 to 25 minutes, or until golden and bubbling. Allow to cool for 5 minutes.
- Top with a scoop of vanilla ice cream and enjoy!