I love this recipe for Orecchiette with Sausage and Greens. You can use your favorite green, I just happened to have spinach on hand but broccolini, broccoli rabe and even kale work well here. Let me show you how I make it!
How to make Orecchiette with Sausage and Greens
The first step is to saute onions in oil for a few minutes and then add your sausage. I removed the casings from sweet Italian sausage, but feel free to use mild or spicy to suit your particular taste buds.
Once the sausage is nearly cooked, deglaze the pan with white wine. The wine really adds to the overall flavor of this dish, but if you don’t have it, vegetable or chicken broth will also work in a pinch.
Add the diced tomatoes with the liquids and season with salt and pepper, to taste.
While the sauce is reducing a bit, I cook the Orecchiette. This shape is carried at my local grocery store, but if you are unable to find it don’t fret. You can still make this dish with another shape of pasta.
Bring the sauce to a boil and once it bubbles and has reduced slightly, we can move on.
Add your greens and let them cook for just 1-2 minutes until they wilt slightly.
Then add your pasta and stir to thoroughly combine.
All that’s left is the cheese and I am using grated parmesan. Give this a stir to combine.
I also like to serve with another sprinkling of the parmesan.
Top with chopped fresh parsley and serve immediately. If you have a loaf of crusty Italian bread, that would make an amazing size to this dish!
Did you make my Orecchiette with Sausage and Greens recipe? Leave me a comment below and let me know what you thought!
Orecchiette with Sausage and Greens
- 1 tbsp Olive OIl
- 1/2 c Onion diced
- 8 oz Sweet Italian Sausage if in casings, remove those
- 1/4 c White Wine
- 14 oz Can of Diced Tomatoes with juices
- 12 oz Orecchiette Pasta cooked to package instructions
- 4 oz Baby Spinach chopped, if desired
- 1/2 cup Parmesan Cheese grated
- Salt & Pepper to taste
- Parsley for garnish
- Add oil to a skillet over medium high heat and saute onions until translucent. Add sausage, breaking up with the back of a wooden spoon until browned.
- Deglaze the pan with white wine. You could also use chicken or vegetable broth here.
- Add the diced tomatoes and season with salt and pepper.
- Add spinach and stir to wilt and add the cooked pasta.
- Add parmesan and mix well to combine.
- Garnish with a sprinkle or parmesan and parsley. Serve immediately.
Leave a Reply